View Single Post
Unread 04-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #40
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
An interesting history. Obviously when Parker had the opportunity to partner with Merritt Hawes for marketing and distribution of a bamboo fly rod, they chose one of the best.
I just came across this post. I am a collector of fine vintage split bamboo fly rods and a fanatical fly fisherman. Forgive me for saying this Bruce, but the Parker Hawes rods do not command a high price on the market. They are generally considered somewhat below a good Granger or Wright and McGill which were production rods and semi-hand built. Those that I have seen for sale usually sell for between $300 and $400, far below collectible fly rods by Leonard, Dickerson, Howells and others.

I have never owned or cast one so I can't personally say one way or the other, but the market hasn't been kind to them. I consider the Leonard the Parker of the split bamboo fly rods and have a fine collection of them. I fish them almost exclusively.

I don't know how the marriage of Parker and Hawes came about, but Parker did not choose a top maker in my opinion. The only claim to fame is the association with Parker. A fact that the vintage fly fishing market cares nothing about.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote