View Single Post
Unread 10-24-2016, 09:08 PM   #4
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,235 Times in 12,376 Posts

Brian, I respectfully disagree with your opinion of the forend checkering.
The gun was produced before standard features were assigned to guns of a grade.
It is my opinion that those extra checkered triangle patches are original to the gun. I've never seen them before but considering the condition of the entire gun and the rest of the checkering, I'm betting that is original checkering.

The subject gun 13694 was produced in 1878 - the same year that King's Deely & Edge patented forend latch system was introduced. It is very possible that this gun's forend originally had the earlier keyed forend latching system and it was replaced by the new Deeley style and the holes in the wood for the key fittings had been plugged and checkered to disguise the work.
Notice the center diamond point is smaller/closer to the centerline of the forend which allowed the installation of the earlier keyed system.

Now take a look at an earlier grade 2 'dollar' equivalent gun I've posted here which has the same checkering with the smaller center diamond allowing space for the keyed system.

Remember, 'never say never when discussing Parkers.'

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 039.JPG (459.8 KB, 16 views)

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: