View Single Post
Unread 11-16-2016, 07:44 PM   #10
DoubleOframe
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Mckinney View Post
J.A. And Channing....yes it has been refinished before I got it. But just so I understand, just because the rib may have come undone in the center couple of inches. That doesn't mean the barrels are separating....is that right. Also do you know of a good gunsmith that might work on these kind of things....hopefully in Texas....also. Are these good, strong barrels???? I mean the make and where they were made, the steel they used etc.. I know you cant evaluate these specific barrels by a photo.
The rest of the rib might be fine now but there is always a chance moisture may have been getting in and causing rust and corrosion. No amount of soaking in oil will fix that and if it is the case a strip, clean and relay would be needed. If the gun hasn't been exposed to a lot of moisture it might be fine and you may get away with soldering just the loose section down. Sterlingworth barrels were well made but J. A.'s advice is also worth considering if you don't want to spend a bunch of money on the gun.
Visit Channing Will's homepage!