View Single Post
Unread 01-04-2018, 03:47 PM   #14
Southpaw
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Bishop View Post
Having spent my entire life in the South, the bobwhite quail has always been King. Finding wild birds in East Tennessee is almost impossible so now I mostly hunt dove and turkey. But I still recall fondly the days afield with Setters and Pointers.
I almost have come to the conclusion that Southeastern native wild Bob White Quail are becoming almost non existent other than around preserves. Some places in South Georgia that have the hunting plantations have banded together the large plots of land that are interconnected and maintained the quail habitat and management. If it wasn't for these endeavors I almost think they would be on endangered or threatened list.

Places I used to be able to go as kid look similar though planting practices have changed and we could find at least 5 to 6 good coveys. Now days those birds are all gone and you don't even hear them whistling in the spring. Complex reasons why and probably its a combination of things that work against them ever really coming back. Personally I just think loss of habitat, farming practices, and way to many other critters that like quail and quail eggs, they just will not be able to catch a break to rebound by themselves unless there is a massive concerted effort on mans part.

Personally though if its a wild game bird in the Southeast I have hunted them all and enjoyed the pursuit. Hunted wild quail until I think my legs would almost fall of as kid.
Todd Poer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Todd Poer For Your Post: