View Single Post
Unread 04-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #16
Gary Laudermilch
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,101 Times in 674 Posts

Ok, I'll weigh in on a subject that is as difficult to nail down as what to look for in the perfect woman.

I will not use the term balance because it is misleading. To me, the most important aspect is the dynamics of the gun. I like a piece with a bit of weight but with most of it between the hands. The weight smooths the swing and tames muzzle jump. A dynamic gun will feel much lighter than it actually is. It will come to the target smoothly and smooth equates to fast. And, since I like to practice quite a bit with my grouse gun, weight very much tames recoil.

I've had the pleasure of shooting many different so called grouse guns. Very few have qualified. Passable yes, but ideal no. I have no bone to pick with the 28 ga except the cost and availability of ammo and their excessively light weight. Most I've shot had more perceived recoil than my 12's. The 12 is just overkill for grouse but if I had one with the right dynamics I would not hesitate to use it. The 20 has everything going for it. Ammo , reloading components, and empty hulls are easy to find. There is enough weight but not so much that an old guy like me cannot carry it all day.

After many years of looking and trying different guns I found what I consider ideal. It is a Parker repro 20 with 26 inch barrels that weighs 6-12. It has double triggers which I consider ideal for skittish grouse over dogs. Switching barrels is instant and without thought. I had the ckokes opened to .004 and .008. The tight barrel will break clays hard to 30 plus yards, about the max I will shoot at a grouse. The factory Q1/Q2 would make an ideal combination but I could not find one when I was in the market to buy.

This is my dedicated grouse gun and my only wish is that I had it 40 years ago. While it is, in my opinion, an ideal grouse gun I have used it quite a bit for doves as well. I've shot more doubles on doves with this gun than any other. Two years ago I managed 3 doubles in a row. There is no amount of money that would get me to part with it.
Gary Laudermilch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gary Laudermilch For Your Post: