Thread: Turkey Hunting?
View Single Post
Unread 12-12-2020, 07:16 PM   #8
Dean Romig
PGCA Invincible
Life Member

Member Info

Thanked 33,042 Times in 12,322 Posts

When I'm hunting alone with a hammer gun for grouse and woodcock and I'm in a cover where I can expect a flush or an imminent point I'll hunt with the breech closed and hammers cocked and keep the muzzles pointed at the sky.

When I'm with a partner or other hunters, out of courtesy and safety to them being paramount, I'll hunt with the hammers cocked and the breech open. On the flush it is much simpler and easier to just snap the gun closed than it is to cock both hammers.

When I'm turkey hunting I'm always alone. And I generally hunt with the hammers cocked and breech closed between sitting. When I'm sitting and calling the hammers are down and the breech is closed. I cock the gun when I shoulder it well in advance of the bird making an appearance.... but he will usually have announced himself before he comes into view.

There are a few ways to hunt safely with a hammer gun. But the key word is always safely.

George King, "That's Ruff", 2010 - a timeless classic.
Dean Romig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dean Romig For Your Post: