View Single Post
Unread 10-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #5
Sara LeFever
PGCA Member

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Srebro View Post
I see their surname is spelled LeFever as is yours. Any idea why Lefever was used in catalogues and adverts? It seems to be the accepted gun maker spelling nowadays?
Frank,

Great question. The "capital F" topic has come up in discussion before, but I don't think there is a definite answer. From what I know, Dan started out as "Lefever", and the company was named "Lefever Arms Company". At some point I believe Dan began to spell it "LeFever". I don't know if it was a business decision, or a personal decision. It could have been a way for him to separate himself from the Lefever Arms Company, after he left in 1901. I'm not sure if all of his sons followed suit with the change either. I descended from his son, Frank, and he used the capital "F" (see Frank's signature and letterhead on page 173 in Elliott's book).

There is a genealogy book called "The Pennsylvania LeFevres", and the man that did most of the original research for it, felt that "LeFevre" was the original, correct spelling. I don't know the time frame of when he was tracing the family lines across the country, but there certainly is a possibility that he contacted Dan (or his sons) during that process. Maybe this prompted Dan to make the partial change to a capital "F".

Now you've got me wondering. I'll have to start looking back through documents on Ancestry.com and see if I can glean any information as to who and when it started being used.

Sara
Sara LeFever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sara LeFever For Your Post: