View Single Post
Restoring Henry F. Tenney's Wife's VHE
Unread 02-15-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
BRDHNTR
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 2,730 Times in 1,250 Posts

Default Restoring Henry F. Tenney's Wife's VHE

The double I received the other day and purchased from a friend of the family (who just wanted to unload it) turns out to be a VHE, not the VH he initially told me. Turns out this double belonged to the wife of Lawyer Tenney. The LOP measures out to about 13 inches. The stock was apparently cut and a Jostam or Hawkins recoil pad was installed for the Mrs. The pad is now gone and all that remains is the red spacer. I need at least 14 1/2 " of LOP to shoot this double comfortably. I'm sending it to Brad Bachelder next week to have Brad refinish stock and forearm, dissassemble, clean and lube, replace missing mid rib ivory bead and install a new recoil pad. Will be talking with Brad after he receives this double about merits of doing a total restocking, or adding some wood to butt end or go with a 1 1/2" suitable recoil pad to give me most of the LOP I need to shoot this double without recoil killing my index finger each time it fires - shorter stocks tend to do this to me. Apart from the stock having been cut short for the Mrs., the wood is like new except for a few dings here and there and a shade line on the butt end where it looks like someone had something like a limsaver slip on boot over the butt end which left the finish with a discoloration line. I'll include some pics. $$ is not the issue. Any thoughts from the gallery on what fix on the stock would you recommend. I really appreciate all the thought and experience PGCA members show in their replies on this forum. This double is tight as a safe. Barrels bright. and case colors are probablt around 50%. I intend for this to be a shooter and something to leave my grandson. Bite the bullet and go for total restocking or what?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1110.jpg (485.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1111.jpg (490.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1091.jpg (504.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1092.jpg (503.2 KB, 6 views)