View Single Post
Unread 11-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #27
Dennis
PGCA Member

Member Info

I only have one shotgun with screw in choke tubes and it is a Remington 870 Police Model. I have only used the screw in chokes once when I was invited to go duck hunting and it was so I could use steel shot. It was the only gun I had suitable for steel. Having said that let's not forget that just because the shotgun barrel is marked with a choke designation doesn't mean it really IS that marked choke. I have heard of full choke guns which are really modified etc. I generally shoot side by sides and like them to be choked improved cylinder and modified. My Parker 12 gauge GH is improved modified and full and I seem to shoot it as well as any other gun I have. I used to shy away from any gun marked full choke as I couldn't hit anything with the full choke barrel. I don't know if my shooting has gotten better or guns I am using aren't really full choke. I suspect they are full choke though. I guess my long winded point is there really is a purpose for different chokes such as skeet or improved cylinder for quail. But if all you have is a full choke gun I guess it will do just fine.
Dennis V. Nix is offline   Reply With Quote