View Single Post
Unread 08-20-2018, 10:56 PM   #19
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,533 Times in 3,406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
tell us something about this 10 ga slug load i m very interested in this right now....charlie
I actually have a pair of slug loads .

Both use 30 grains of SR7625 .

In the one using the 630 grain 10 gauge version of the Lyman Sabot Slug I use an unaltered SP-10 wad then drop two of the 16 gauge 1/8" wads in the shotcup followed by the slug (the hollow base of the slug is filled with hot glue to keep anything else from pushing up into the cavity). Then it's crimped same as a bird shot load .

My other slug is a .734" 730 grain slug a friend in Ohio came up with to be used in a rifled 12 gauge gun. With this one I again fill the hollow base with hot glue . But I remove the petals from the SP-10 wad seat it and take a .010" mylar wrap and insert it followed by one 16 gauge 1/8" card wad then the 730 grain slug on top and crimp as if bird shot .

Both of these slugs I've cast from a 50/50 alloy of wheelweights / pure lead .
In both cases I shoot three shot groups at 25 yards first from the right barrel and then from the left barrel followed by a two shot group of one from each barrel . Generally I'll load the right barrel with a slug and the left barrel with whatever size buckshot I'm interested at the time .

In my 28" EH the three shot groups from either barrel could be covered by the lid off a small coffee can , well that is with the 630 grain slug . That gun doesn't seem to like the heavier slug as well . But in my EH 3 frame 32" that's full of even more full it likes the heavier slug and shoots them quite well same can be saif for my 3 frame 32" NH .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote