View Single Post
Unread 12-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #10
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,537 Times in 4,621 Posts

What a fantastic gun!!! With some very interesting features.

A research letter, if available should verify a lot of information on the gun and these features.

I have no doubt that the monte carlo stock is factory original as the form of the stock in completely correct for that style of comb. The butt treatment is a big question. It could have been fitted with an ssbp or a pad originally, or maybe even wood checkered like it is presently, but the shape of it looks a bit off and maybe altered some. But the length looks right.

Safety delete is a special order feature for sure.
The engraving is very unique in that it has no game scenes on the sides. What does the bottom look like? No game as well? All floral and scroll on grades like this are usually always on special request. And the deeper relief floral on the sides is somewhat atypical for the grade.

Dave (researcher) mentions the style of the forend tip. It is the later style tip. And i see that the forend looks like it could have a lot less signs of wear than the buttstock. I suspect that the barrels and forend may be an additional set added later on in the 1920s. When a set of barrels were added, they would also have their own forend assembly to go with them. That would explain the style of the forend tip for sure.
Does your barrel forend lug and forend iron have a “2” stamped on them? Or any sort of number?

Or, the original barrels could have outright been replaced for one reason or another.