View Single Post
Unread 01-28-2019, 01:05 PM   #8
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,596 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Flanders View Post
I know about hunts like that Garry. Trigg and I hunted a preserve north of Anchorage in 2006 when it was -13F and thick ice fog. His GSP was able to scent birds and point from 50yds out! He was a superdog though. He got some pointing practice in on the bird box(dog kennel) before we put the birds out. We stayed warm enough and didn't have to walk far but that was the coldest hunt I've ever done, but not so cold that you had to really dress up. Fun though! Only birds I've ever taken with my 30" damascus DH12.
Richard,

I really enjoyed your pictures -- thanks!! I've not bird hunted in temps that low, but did climb the bluffs of NE Iowa after grouse in 0 degree temperatures, and also hunted grouse on a Christmas Day in SE Minnesota when it was minus 10 by the truck thermometer. That Christmas Day the bells filled with ice and froze solid, the beepers' batteries "froze" and would not work...but we still moved some grouse in the pine plantations. My 28 sounded like a pop gun when I fired it. Again, the dogs loved it, but we went through lots of Mushers Secret and my hands got very, very cold putting it on them. Looking back, I'm not sure why we hunted except that we were there and had driven 6 hours to hunt. But, I am absolutely not sorry I hunted that day, and have never been sorry I spent a day in the field with my dogs, my wife, and my guns.

Highs of minus 10 are predicted for the next two days, so we'll stay in and reminisce...and pack the truck to head earlier than planned to Oklahoma to finish out their season.

Thanks again for responding and posting your photos!
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: