Thread: Opening Chokes
View Single Post
Unread 05-04-2015, 07:59 AM   #17
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

William, I believe the chokes were the last thing done to a barrel, and with a double, after the tubes were soldered together and finished. Usually a reamer is used from the breech end with guides on the rod to keep it centered. If most of your shooting is under 30 yards such as grouse hunting or clay games then you'd want a skeet or I/C choke so you wouldn't be destroying the game bird or over handicapping yourself with clay birds. I don't hunt anymore, but love to shoot clays, and like it even more when I beat my friends. We shoot three times a week about four to eight boxes each day. Just about all the shots are under 30 yards and for this reason I've opened the chokes on most my guns. My SxS trap gun has Mod and IM, the rest anywhere from skeet to LM. Todd Bender, a famous skeet shooter uses skeet chokes and no one is telling him to use tight chokes and just " learn how to shoot ". If I were mainly a hunter, then I'd leave the chokes alone and use spreader wads when needed. But I'm a clay target shooter and have my guns choked for the game I'm shooting. I'm not telling anyone to open their chokes, but there are good reasons for doing it if one so desires.