View Single Post
Unread 12-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Sean Harper
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Collins View Post
Sean,

You are off to a great start. I would be reluctant to remove the hinge pin. That involves a press if I'm not mistaken. The locks could very well be cleaned without removing anything. Those two items I would leave well enough alone. I would leave the hammers attached as well. Just do your best with where you are.

Harry
Harry, I was thinking the same thing actually. I'm not terribly worried that I'll forget how to put it all back together again, but more worried that I'll damage the fine workings somehow. There is quite a bit of rust build-up on the exterior, and a bit of hard scale on the inside. The springs on the locks and screws in there are covered. They do function though, quite well in fact. I'm thinking a bath in a rust romeving agent then spotlessly cleaning everything, then a premium lubricating oil. Again, the springs and mechanisms are in working order, I'm just hoping to remove any possible grime/rust/yucky-stuff that may result in wear and damage further down the road.

The inside appears to be a perfect time-capsule, no noticable previous repairs or even damage from heavy use. It does have quite a bit of rust and grime inside. The only thing I've noticed is two screws with marring on the slot, but the marring is in the direction of installation not removal. So, I'm positive I'm the only one to have opened her up since she was put together at the plant... Pretty cool.
Sean Harper is offline   Reply With Quote