View Single Post
Unread 09-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

The thing that tickles my fancy about knives is not what the blade looks like but how it holds an edge. I've got about fifty knives of all kinds and enjoy sitting in front of the TV sharpening them. Knives are very different when it comes to sharpening and holding an edge. By far, btw: my sharpest knives are old Cub and Boy Scout folders. Camulus blades. An old K-Bar is good and made by the same company. Other old folders are capable of taking and holding a good edge. Swiss Army knives, both companies, take an edge and then lose it. I carry one tho, and freshen the edge daily. A few strokes on a steel does the trick. Case knives are okay, but I can't get a good edge on the small ones.

IMHO, if one wants to carry a sharp blade for little money, then go to a gun show and buy an old, cheap pocket knife that has a dirty, stained, made in the US, steel blade. Forget stainless. You'll be able to get an edge on it that you can shave with.

I have not been able to get a razor sharp edge on a damascus blade, but I only have two and one is a cheap kit blade. The other is a hand made blade. It is small and takes a pretty good edge. It is a totally hand made knife.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote