View Single Post
Unread 08-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #9
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie cleveland View Post
them old 97 s are fine guns..most seen a lot of hard use and were hunted hard but most have survived...ive got a good shooter in the 97 its a 12 ga 30 inch full choke and kicks like a mule with high brass shells.... charlie
Pumps were cutting edge shotguns at the turn of the century (the one before last) and were extremely popular for several decades. I still like them. When I was a kid almost everyone shot a pump; a few autos. As a s a college kid someone loaned me a double with a plastic stock! I did fine with it. Have no idea what it was.

I have had trouble shooting a pump at skeet, but I'm not that good. If I could break the first bird quickly I'd have plenty of time to work that trombone.

I like the pencil thin feel of a pump, but I like the old world mystic of the double. I have been shooting trap and skeet and want to shoot my old doubles; a Parker GH, a Fox Sterlingworth, a Spanish ASTRA and an "I" grade Lefever. No one shoots guns like these in my club. No one cares tho. I can shoot whatever I want to shoot.

Here is the question; does anyone shoot one of these old doubles with the low comb at trap/skeet and do any good with them? I suppose I'd have to "cover the bird" but that's okay with me....if it works.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve McCarty For Your Post: