Thread: Not a Double!
View Single Post
Unread 07-25-2012, 01:59 PM   #19
Steve McCarty
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Parker View Post
Thanks Steve, The M12 is 1925 30" Full w Simmons vent rib which shoots well. The 16's I have never shot, sad I know but will get too it. Frame size runs same as 12's to me w/ one being 28" F and other 26" F. The 12's I shoot as well as others about avg, reminds me I need to shoot more. I also have a buddy that shoots his 97 as a never miss gun being 10yds or 60yds, As Calvin said they have cool hammers and would like to pick up a Marlin also. Nice gun Mark
I like the Nickle Steel Model 12's but for no meaningful reason. I just like them. All of my model 12's but two (a 20 and a 12) are well worn. I kind of like that. I have a 16 too, but it is hiding in my safe somewhere and I have never shot it either. When it comes to shooting 16's the task goes to my Ithaca model 37, a modified gun that is like new, but is quite old.

Pumps have been falling from favor since the advent of such good autos and then this resurgence of double guns. We never saw doubles in the field in the 50's and 60's. We were Kansas farm boys and we shot old wobbly Model 12's and a few Remington 11's. The only double I saw as a kid was a worn silver Merkle that one of the guys brought back from WWII. That guy is 90 now and is still shooting that old German shotgun.
Steve McCarty is offline   Reply With Quote