Thread: Parker-like...
View Single Post
A fine instrument indeed- length and line weight??
Unread 11-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #7
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default A fine instrument indeed- length and line weight??

[QUOTE=Kent Nickerson;6935]The rod was made by Charles Jenkins about 36 years ago...I think his son is still making them just like his dad did...

The rainbow is from a spring creek in Idaho...here's another big boy poking his nose up at me the same day...
[IMG]http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/bluetoon/noses.jpg[-- Jenkins rods are first rate, as are the R.L. Winstons (especially the Stoner-Merrick ones made in San Francisco) the Gary Howells (who apprenticed with Doug Merrick) the Grangers- both the Goodwin Grangers and the later Wright & McGill Grangers, the rods favored by writer John Gierach made by various Western makers-- some one once said that if Winstons and Grangers had been made in the Highland Mills-Central Valley upstate NY area instead of out in the Western areas, they would have had the 'cachet' ascribed to the pre-fire Leonards and the Jim Payne rods-was your rod refinished over the course of its 36 years? It looks very clean with impeccable wraps and varnish?
Do you alternate the tips when out for a full day's fishing? rotate it 180 degrees to spread the load stress of a heavy fish against the spline of the rod shaft- the late Paul Young advocated doing that I believe- what reel and type of line do you use with this fine rod??
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote