Thread: 1914 12 ga
View Single Post
Unread 01-19-2012, 04:08 PM   #7
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,725 Times in 4,643 Posts

Oh yeah, I forgot to address your question on lengthening the chambers. I wouldn't. It would be another thing that would take away from the value of the gun and potentially be unsafe if it leaves too little wall thickness in front of the chamber.
Just get yourself some 2-1/2" length RST shells. You can get 250 shells for $100 - $130 depending on what ones you get. Your barrels would also most likely hold up to putting low dram 2-3/4" shells through it, but that is completely up to you if you want to try it. One never knows.
I have a Trojan that needs 2-1/2" shells and I just use it for hunting. Not going out and blowing boxes at a time at the skeet range. I have another Parker for that.

Thanks for mentioning that you had a Trojan. That was Parkers entry level parker and it was introduced in 1913. Plain and simple working man's gun, but still great. To give you an idea, the book value on a Poor condition Trojan is $600, even though you can usually find them for less than that. So, like I had said, the couple repairs you mention will not be more than the gun is worth, provided they are done right.