View Single Post
Unread 10-21-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
Bruce Day
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 15,623 Times in 2,670 Posts

Don, I have saved your comments and advice. Your wood peeve is mine also. I don't mind if somebody intentionally sets out to do a custom Parker.... use whatever wood they want......but if the intent is to restore, I like it to be correct, and that includes wood. We did a true restoration to a DHE Double Trap some years back that is considered a stunning gun now, and it was correct to the last detail. Now I have had a 16 ga CHE in restoration for 2 1/2 years and it will take longer. That gun has Rem factory replacement barrels 28", with narrow tapered rib, factory articulated and matted triggers, and the ugliest crappiest replacement no drop point stock, fat beavertail and garish cyanide striped colors. Donnie Gemmes and I must have poured through 75-100 Turkish walnut blanks before the right one was selected. I pulled out what I thought was correct Parker high grade wood, then Donnie said I was wrong about them all and he selected one and he was dead on. The new splinter forend is made, the stock is close to being finished . I found an original unfinished skeleton butt which will be engraved, and found a stunning forend tip. I am committed to a true restoration on this abused , light, fast 16 C, and its not easy or cheap. I am fortunate to have another 16 C with perfect stock and checkering which can be duplicated side by side.
Bruce Day is offline   Reply With Quote