View Single Post
Unread 06-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #50
Wild Skies
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 3,657 Times in 997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Cronkhite View Post
Charlie: Red Head ducks aren't normally around here in great numbers. This is a very different year. It is so wet and so much more available wetlands for the ducks/geese that I am seeing more and more species in numbers well beyond the norm. I have even seen four snow geese. I only see them during migration by the millions but never during mating season. Not sure if these four are just smarter than the millions or if they are just lazy or first go round and couldn't wait any longer.

Here are some recent shots from the past few days. I find "in flight" tough shots. Far tougher with the camera than the Parker. The Red Head flock is about 400 yards. I would put the mallard "touch down" around 200 yards, as well as the three RedHeads in flight. The swimming RedHead pair is about 100 yards. Any nice in flight shots are 50-60 yards. I shoot a lot for a decent pic but when there is a good one, I enjoy it.

Now I know where the RedHeads are in a flock, maybe I can find where they feed and then intercept them along the way for some in flight entertainment.

Last pic is CHARLIE still believing in possibilities. She swam a long way and the blue bill just putzed along in front. When she came to shore, I think some of the liquid she shook off was sweat. I haven't bothered to shoot migratory ever since the lead shot ban. I did have the barrel on the SKB semi opened up for steel, just in case I ever wanted to bother. CHARLIE thinks I should bother

Cheers,
Jack
No big deal, but the only Red Head ducks are the three in flight, the flocks of "Red Heads" on the water and the swimming pair with the Ruddy drake are really Canvasbacks.