View Single Post
Unread 04-04-2024, 09:45 PM   #6
ArtS
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,126 Times in 434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Teates View Post
I have owned 3 over the last 46 years. 2 in 5mm and 1 in 22. My first was while I was Living in England back in the 1970s. I had permission to shoot collard doves at a flour mill that were causing a health concern. I probably whacked several thousand over a 3 year period. With 6 pumps of the handguard it was very accurate out to about 35 yards using Sheridan pellets.

I dont know if 5mm pellets are still available or not. On a gun that old I would check to see if it still pumps, and holds air. You may want to check e-bay, they have a number of guns and parts listed.

Byron...

The one I still shoot occasionally is .22 cal and is not as accurate as the 5mm.

The pellets are available just about everywhere. Sheriden invented the .20 in order to limit use to the more accurate pellets they made, I believe. At the time the .177 and the .22 were in use. The .20 is 5mm and so known by that name internationally. It is about exactly between the 17 caliber and 22 caliber. Ruger did the same much later with centerfires after some work by wildcatters in the late 60's who developed the .so caliber bore.
Arthur Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arthur Shaffer For Your Post: