View Single Post
Unread 03-20-2024, 07:08 AM   #15
Chris Wren
Forum Associate

Member Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgarspencer View Post
Are you related to Chris Wren, the architect?
I think he specialized in churches.
Funny you ask. I did a history report on Sir Wren back in high school. While working on that report, I did do some genealogy looking. I cannot find a direct link in my family line to him. I believe I am related, but in the manner that we both share a single ancestor, like he is a loooooooooooooong lost uncle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Harlow View Post
Sinking money into a replacement stock would be financial suicide. Maybe look around for a used stock and have it fitted. Also, I would never put the parts in any water. I usually use a Dremmel tool with a bronze wire wheel at low speed to get junk out of an action, once the floor plate and easily accessible parts are disassembled. Also, no steel wool. Frontier 45 pad for cleaning anything metal on the outside.
It would be "financial suicide" in the aspect of ruining the value of the firearm, or in the aspect of cost involved in creating a new stock? The reason I ask, my boss has a machine that replicates rifle/shotgun stocks. This is a long time hobby of his and he has already commented he will help with the stock if I ask. I also shared some pics of the state of the buttstock. I have no plans to try and reuse this one for anything other than a reference.

On the topic of cleaning, how easy it is to disassemble the hammerhead? When I was trying to get the barrels off, I removed the 2 screws on the bottom plate and lifted it up about 1/8" to get some oil in there, but I did not remove the plate. If/when I decide to remove the plate, do I need to be worried about any springs that may fly out, or will the layout be fairly straight forward? I plan to video/photograph the disassembly to ensure I have documentation of how it came apart.

And on the "financial" aspect, I understand this particular shotgun in its current condition isn't what I would call "high dollar" or a "collector's item", but generally, is this model considered valued around $200-400? Higher? Lower? Sentimental value of this shotgun is priceless and I do not see this ever being sold or transferred out of the family, but I like to keep records, and would like a ball park number should I need to interact with my insurance (god forbid).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240320_064402_resized.jpg (424.1 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 20240320_064410_resized.jpg (424.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20240320_064418_resized.jpg (349.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20240320_064426_resized.jpg (501.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20240320_064433_resized.jpg (508.1 KB, 1 views)
Chris Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris Wren For Your Post: