Thread: Flintlock Fun
View Single Post
Unread 02-05-2024, 02:33 PM   #9
Jay Oliver
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,214 Times in 641 Posts

I was using 2 1/2 drams of 2f Swiss and 7/8oz of shot. I do need to pattern it. There wasn't any perceptible delay in ignition and main charge. This is perhaps the quickest flintlock I have ever fired and was cutting edge back in the day. John and Joseph Manton had this perfected.

My timing was a bit off on crossing shots, but that was me not the gun. For some reason whenever I shoot black powder I always lead too much, and then realize, you can pretty much shot it like any other shotgun.

I am going to take it on a Preserve pheasant hunt in the next week or two. I would like to take her to shot clays one more time before that. I should pattern it and also try a 1oz load. I would love to take it grouse hunting in the fall too.

I have shot and hunted with original percussion guns too. It is a lot of fun. I didn't do it last year, but I remember there being a muzzleloading event at the Southern, but I didn't see it on the schedule for this year. the one year I did do it, I really enjoyed and learned a lot from the participants.
Jay Oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jay Oliver For Your Post: