View Single Post
Tail End (or, the guns "whut dun it.")
Unread 01-12-2024, 03:13 PM   #1
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,889 Times in 3,158 Posts

Default Tail End (or, the guns "whut dun it.")

Sitting here in North Missouri under the weight, both physical and emotional, of a foot and more of snow, ice and other assorted winter concoctions, it's hard not to bemoan the loss of the last days of the hunting season. But, it's also a good time to reflect on and count the blessings of the hunt from our Missouri bird season.

For those of us who live for the season of bird, dog and gun, here's some Winter fodder for your thoughts of guns and seasons past.

PHOTOS:

1&2. I bought this little H&H at the urging of Steve Parker (thanks, Steve!) for woodcock in home covers. I blooded it last year on dove with its .410 barrel set (inspired by the good Farmer Hillis, again, a thank you), and I managed to get first shot kills in our Missouri covers this year on woodcock and wild Bobs with its beautiful Damascus 28 gauge barrels.

3. This old girl -- a Quality U -- was my first straight gripped hammer Parker, and she sat in the safe for some years before I heard her call for a duck hunt. A flooded corn field was the setting where she finally got to strut her stuff.

4. A "new" gun from this year, this DHE 16 has the same configuration -- and engraving pattern -- as my quail gun, a DHE 20. Both have straight grips, 30 inch barrels...and, as fate would have it, the uncommon "medium full comb." I was carrying the gun on a pheasant hunt when we encountered a covey of quail. First shot magic is hard to beat.

5. Here's my go-to quail gun that I've written of before, and that matches my above mentioned new 16. It's hard to leave this DHE 20 at home on any excursion for wild Missouri Bobs.

6. Another first blooding. This time with a nice Damascus 20 gauge I acquired this year (thank you, Mr. L.). I really needed spreader loads with this on the day we had it out as the birds offered close shots in the edge of timber. It's very satisfying to down a bird on a tough shot with a new gun.

7. We got out last Sunday before "Snowmagedon" marched in this past week. I normally don't go hunting all day on Sunday -- a "deal" I've worked out with the boss -- but knowing what the weather had in store, she gave her permission and came along to chronicle what may have been our last outing of the season. We had a good day, finding 3 coveys from which we came home with our limit of two birds. The puppy did well, and Aspen ended the day with this nice single pointed just so that Elaine could capture its flight.

God bless this season...and hopefully many more to come for us all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5250.jpg (564.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5304.jpg (520.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5287.jpg (552.8 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5349.jpg (549.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5408.jpg (513.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5743.jpg (536.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5784.jpg (564.7 KB, 7 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 38 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: