View Single Post
Unread 12-25-2023, 08:22 AM   #30
Stan Hillis
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,139 Posts

This is something I have mentioned before on other forums when discussing barrel length preferences, and is only an observation that I made for myself. If it applies to others it may make some sense to them.

Whan a taller person, i.e. a person with longer arms, places the front hand on the forearm and barrels they normally do so at a location farther away from the action. This little difference of a inch or so increases the leverage that one has to swing the gun, regardless the direction of movement. It's like changing the moment of inertia. Greater leverage, by having the front hand farther out, has the effect of making the gun easier to swing. The opposite happens when the hand is placed farther back, or closer to the action.

I believe this is one reason why taller people prefer longer barreled shotguns more often than people of lesser height. I'm 6'2" and consider 28" barrels short. My dedicated quail/woodcock double has 28" barrels, but the best woodcock day I ever had was when shooting a 30" barreled FAIR Verona 28 ga. O/U gun.

I shoot .410s at doves a good deal. Most of them are 5 1/2 to 6 lb.+, 30" guns. One of them is a 28" barreled S x S that weighs less than 5 lbs. I can shoot it well if i remember to place my front hand farther back towards the action than I usually do. It has a dramatic effect on swing moment, IMO.

Different horses for different courses as they say.
Stan Hillis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stan Hillis For Your Post: