View Single Post
Unread 10-21-2023, 10:46 AM   #6
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,952 Times in 3,170 Posts

Flush rates have come back down to earth, but we are still finding broods in good cover. The weather, with the exception of one rain day (which we desperately needed to rest tired legs), has continued its Indian Summer theme, and the color is distractingly beautiful.

We are in the middle of what we call the "Third Thursday Mayhem," when all of Minnesota's schools are out and large numbers of kids on four-wheelers hit the trails. We try to hunt around them, and take the chance to visit some of the local towns, but the woods are filled with "sportsmen" driving the trails with autoloaders at ready to bag a bird in the trail. It takes a day or two for the birds to filter back toward the trails.

Photos:

1&2. Yesterday started out at 30 degrees with fog. The woods were damp and quiet, and the birds were lingering on the roost. We got more action after the sun started to burn off the fog, but it was a beautiful time to be in the cutovers and pine plantations.

3. I included this wounded alder that I shot for Brian H. I bagged this tree while taking an "easy" straight away shot over a nicely pointed pair of birds. If you see the trees that might get in the way, you're not focused on the bird, so I'll take a dead tree every now and then (and yes, Brian, I know that alders are not legal )

4. Aspen is a sometime retriever. If he knows I see the downed bird, he thinks I should get it myself. But he'll help me when the bird is buried or hidden from view. We've agreed that this will work as long as he continues to point them for me.

5. Another bird from a brood, this one a black ruffed version. We've also seen more hares, which is a sign that the bottom of the grouse cycle is coming (if you believe the surmise of biologists).

6. I must admit to being smitten with the color of the Northwoods at this time of year. We have started taking our trips a bit later to hopefully avoid too-warm temps, and we often miss peak color. But not this year, and it's been hard not to stop and admire the Fall. Elaine and I say it's like walking through gold coins...and we are rich because of it.

7. The benediction to an 8+ mile day. After sun and clouds all day long, we got a brief shower and a sunset that made us stop to admire. Looking east as we headed back to the Cabin, we were gifted a rainbow. A perfect end to the day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5004.jpg (574.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5002.jpg (546.7 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5011.jpg (539.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5017.jpg (582.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5026.jpg (562.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5044.jpg (525.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5056.jpg (570.3 KB, 1 views)
Garry L Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Garry L Gordon For Your Post: