View Single Post
Unread 08-19-2023, 11:31 PM   #9
Bruce P Bruner
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,951 Times in 363 Posts

I don’t have a lot invested in this gun, the combination of the dimple and the stock that had been shortened for a LOP of 12-5/8” decimated its collector value. Consequently, to obtain a proper fit I had to add 1-3/8”. A Silver pad and two spacers were fitted for an acceptable 14” LOP. Previously, it had a thin piece of red rubber inner tube over construction paper, glued and attached with over a dozen carpet tacks. After judiciously removing the tacks and scraping away the paper, the face of the butt had two opposing angles and after a touch on a belt sander a flat mating surface was obtained. It won’t win any beauty contests, though it is a quality shotgun that I can use and enjoy. A classic vintage shotgun doesn’t necessarily have to be a show stopper to have value and be appreciated.
By leaving the barrel “as is” avoids additional stress caused by aesthetic correction. This double has endured 142 years and I’m extending its useful life. I may contour the sharp edges of the Silver pad for a more traditional “continental” look.
Thank you so much!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2997.jpg (541.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2535.jpg (481.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2534.jpg (492.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2548.jpg (534.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2525.jpg (515.5 KB, 1 views)

T.S. Eliot
Bruce P Bruner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bruce P Bruner For Your Post: