View Single Post
Unread 04-15-2023, 09:49 AM   #26
stumpstalker
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,439 Times in 689 Posts

Here is an extensive PGCA Forum thread on achieving a French polish. I do not believe the word,” lacquer” comes up at any point.

https://parkerguns.org/forums/showth...=French+polish

Highlights from the thread:

"Please note that french polish, for those that dont know, is a shellac finish" –Brian Dudley

"French Polish is just shellac with a little oil applied to the pad to keep the pad from sticking to the wood when applied. Oil and shellac don't mix so only the shellac goes on the wood except if you use too much oil, Shellac dries almost immediately so when you complete one application, you can start again. Many applications can be put on in one day. Search the Internet for how to do french polish. I use amber shellac from Bullseye which can be thinned if needed. If you use flakes it needs to be cut down for the proper thickness." -Chuck Bishop

And, as for THE PARKER STORY, in a section on “Stock Finishing”, page 439, the phrase “French polish” is absent, but Charles Parker explains a Parker application process that uses simultaneously shellac and linseed oil.