View Single Post
Unread 01-04-2023, 12:38 PM   #39
Harry Collins
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 1,766 Times in 736 Posts

Near 40 years ago Ross Seyfried penned an article in Guns and Ammo. He was shooting his Damascus guns with Federal Paper Hulls, IMR 7625, and Lage UniWads. The pressures produced mimicked BP both in pressure and where the pressure peaked at a little over 5,000 PSI. I overcame my trepidation and started loading his recipe for my Damascus Parkers.
In 1993 John Brindle's conclusion that 8,000 PSI was safe in Damascus in articles published in Double Gun Journal.
in 1999 and 2000 Sherman Bell did a series in Double Gun Journal "Finding Out For Myself." He was offered a sacrificial lamb in the form of a GH on a #2 Frame with Damascus barrels made in 1900. The barrels finally let go at their weakest spot, at the breach where the extractor pin goes between both barrels. Standard SAMMI 12 gauge pressures run around 12,000 PSI. Proof loads are about 18,000 PSI. The sacrificial lamb gave ut the ghost at about 31,000 PSI.
Wondering what pressure Fluid Steel would let go, I offered Sherman Bell a VH 12 gauge on a #2 frame made in 1900 with Vulcan Steel barrels. He accepted and as before he kept loading heavier and heavier loads until the barrels opened up just like the Damascus barrels. The pressure? Exactly the same. About 31,000 PSI.
RST Shells are the best! When they are unavailable, I shoot any manufacturers that is lead shot and under 1200 FPS.
Harry Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Harry Collins For Your Post: