View Single Post
Unread 12-19-2022, 10:53 AM   #5
Kevin McCormack
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 3,673 Times in 1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Riddell View Post
Was curious, are the gun cases supplied by Parker the basic Brady style case, canvas and leather and all leather? What cases would have been available in the late 1880/early 1900s?
From a long-ago post I wrote on the same topic:

"There were probably no more than 3 or 4 at best "generic" gun case makers in the US from the period of 1890 - 1950. That is, many of the better outfits like the ones mentioned had cases made up by these suppliers and put their own stamps or markings on them. For example, Brady of England made most if not all of the cases offered by A&F, leather VC-style as well as the green canvas over wood.

A good way to ID a particular style of case is to peruse the turn-of-the-century sporting mags and periodicals for spot ads by major dealers - our modern day Herter's or Cabela's - and see what the offerings are.

There are some surprises along the way: the better case makers offered grades from the "El Cheapo" version up to and including the finest heavy grade saddle skirting leather, fit and finished just like a fine saddle.
Good examples are the hand-tooled Eliott style double-ended breakdown cases for single or pairs of guns.

The cheapest cases are molded cardboard, heat pressed then covered with a very thin leather sheeting. The best ones are top of the line, very durable and rival anything made abroad. The best example I know of is the oak & leather case I restored for the second Invincible; it was made and labeled by none other than the Utica Luggage Company, and is as fine a detailed and finished case as any made for Purdey, Boss, H&H, etc."
Kevin McCormack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kevin McCormack For Your Post: