View Single Post
Unread 04-23-2022, 01:32 AM   #23
Milton C Starr
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 1,004 Times in 465 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Carr View Post
It took about two years working with AZ Game and Fish commission and a sign off by the Governor to allow the use of shotguns larger than the 10 gauge to be used for harvesting Game in AZ.
The ruling of course does not change the Federal restrictions on Migratory birds.
I have shot pigeons, and Eurasian dove as well as a coyote in AZ.
I Have shot Several Merriam's turkeys in New Mexico as well as an Osceola turkey in Florida using one of my 8 gauges.
I just can not seem to draw a Goulds turkey tag in AZ which was my primary goal when I set out to get approval for its use.
Maybe next year.
I currently own just one 8 gauge, a WC Scott. I had thoughts of taking an elk but I may have set that goal a little to late in life. Packing an 8 gauge around at 6 or 7000 feet can flat wear you out.
I do love the looks of those paper shells.

Toms load for a 2oz roundball at 1500 fps would probably work for elk if you have a cyl choked or rifled 8 gauge. You just need to find a 8 gauge in the 9lb-10lb range perfect for backpacking haha. Really the only state ruling we have when it comes to size limits for shotguns is small game has a 3.5" maximum case length for whatever reason.

Something I noticed about these paper hulls is they come already resized but it looks like whatever method they use they are actually removing the industrial ring from the brass not just swaging it down, gives the brass a bit more factory look I think. I should see if they can do different colors for the paper I think some blue paper 8 gauge hulls would be neat.
Milton C Starr is offline   Reply With Quote