View Single Post
Looks like I'm a new "Old Parker" owner
Unread 01-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #1
Ron Jahn
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Looks like I'm a new "Old Parker" owner

Hi fellow parker enthusiasts. Let me start by saying this site is outstanding and has been so helpful with info on my latest acquisition. Recently I purchased an amazing old cowboy set. It belonged to a working cowboy (Albert E. Sigal) who used all this gear up until the 1930’s when he hung up his spurs and packed it all away in a trunk. The collection hasn’t seen the light of day until now. Primarily I’m a Colt SAA collector which I admit is the piece that caught my eye in the set but also included was his Parker shotgun. I’m not too knowledgeable about these other than the name but so far this has turned out to be an interesting piece with more history than I first thought. I feel like I fell down a rabbit hole. I’ll attach some photos so you can look it over.

Here’s what I’ve found out so far:
Parker Double Barrel shotgun
SN = 8194 (1876)
Frame Size = 2
Gauge = 10
Grade = O (S)
I assume barrels & fore grip were replaced at some time as they have different SN’s
Barrel weight = 54
Barrels = 20” Plain Twist
Barrel & Fore grip SN = 6639 (1875)
Barrels have “extractors”
I believe the barrels were not shorted but I’m not 100% sure. Maybe the photos will tell. Overall, the shotgun appears to be in pretty good shape for its age considering it belonged to a working cowboy. The stocks show the wear of use but still hold a nice finish. Unfortunately, there are two hairline cracks on the underside of the grip; one on either side of the trigger guard. I’m not sure if I should have it repaired or leave it original?
The action seems to operate fine and is tight, with frame case color at approx. 75%. The barrels have a nice patina and some slight rust and pitting on the outside. I’ve oiled them lightly. The bores are very dirty and I can’t tell their condition unless I clean them but I’m not sure if I should do that either.
I’ve enjoyed learning about this shotgun and I’ve ordered a research letter already but if anyone feels like educating me further I could use the schooling. I wish this set could talk!
Thanks!
RJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00258.JPG (60.6 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00264.JPG (59.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00268.JPG (61.2 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00274.JPG (60.7 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00270.JPG (59.5 KB, 2 views)
Ron Jahn is offline   Reply With Quote