6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,700 Times in 3,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henderson Marriott View Post
The SC state hunting dog.
My father, from Mobile, Alabama-was on the Boykin Spaniel Society
Board of Directors in Camden for many years.

I always liked their Boykin certification/ registration policy. It actively discouraged
AKC and backyard breeding. Very stringent, which protects the breed.

My Boykin, Mad Max-would stop eating if I went on an extended hunting trip
to Alaska without him. Amazingly loyal one-man spaniel. He was fond of the smell
of Hoppes and gun oil in Model 12s and the family's double guns. He was most pleased to be in a dove field or duck blind. The little brown dogs are superlative-like Parkers.
I first saw a Boykin in about 1977 or 78 . My aunt married a fellow that was originally from Colombia SC . His dad raised and field trialed Boykins back in the early period 70's and 80's . He's mentioned a few times in the kinda thick Boykin book winning some trials and he was at the the thing when they broached the subject at the SC state capitol about making the Boykin the state dog . Anyway he gave my aunt and uncle a pup the first year they were married and I'd wanted one ever since . Finally got the one I have now about three years ago . I blame Mr. Hall for that he put me in touch with the guy I bought her from She's the first hunting dog I've ever kept in the house . When I had setters they were always kennel dogs , this one I think would be hurt if she didn't stay in the house

Incidently when we were down at Sanford last month there were five of them back in the dove field at one point ! Mine , Jimmy Hall's pair and two more that belonged to one of the gentleman that works at Deep River .