View Single Post
Unread 05-13-2021, 01:38 PM   #7
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,702 Times in 3,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
Nice. That looks like an Orvis Battenkill rod. I do a lot of fly fishing and tying and I always fish with cane. I have a couple of Battenkills, but my favorite rods are the vintage Leonards. My favorite small stream rod is a 6 ft. "baby" Leonard which I bought from the widow of the original owner. I also take it with me when I hike to above 12,000 feet for the rare greenback cutthroats in the Colorado Rockies. It is a hard hike into the trail less area using a topo and compass but its well worth the effort and pain to get there. The trout average about 17 or 18 inches in the Alpine lakes I fish.

A few pictures............a greenback, an alpine lake at 12,500 ft. that I frequent and fish and two bighorn sheep fighting. I see a lot of sheep every day at altitude. I was in the right place at the right time for the big horn fighting photo.
Harry Murray the fellow that started "Murray's Flyshop" in Edinburgh VA had me talked into going west for small freestone stream cutts . He claimed it was just like fishing for Brookies in the small VA streams . And I have the perfect rod for it , a Walt Carpenter Highlander split cane 6 1/2' 4wt that loads very nicely with a DT 3wt .