View Single Post
Unread 03-14-2021, 11:51 AM   #22
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Carter View Post
I must agree with Mr. Flanigan in 60 years of hunting and shooting i have seen the same thing over and over with technology substituting for the slow and hard way. Modern bowhunting is probably the best example, there are still the longbow and recurve bow hunters and they probably hunt birds with those obsolete, antique side by sides.
Dan, I agree with you about modern bowhunting. When I was working, I stopped bowhunting about 30 years ago because it interferred with my bird shooting. I got back into it this year since I am now retired. I didn't use my Bear recurve bow. I went to a compound bow because I am 71 years old and I can shoot a compound better than I can a recurve. For me its all about not wounding game. I limit my shots to thrity yards where I am absolutely consistent. Also my upper muscles are not what they used to be and I can hold for a much longer time making my shots more consistent than with a recurve.

But taking a deer with a compound is not the same as taking them with recurve. We had to do an awful lot of time practicing back in the day. Taking a deer wth a recurve is real bowhinting while taking a deer with a compound is semi-bowhunting, in my opinion.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: