View Single Post
Unread 03-10-2021, 02:25 PM   #51
B. Dudley
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 17,727 Times in 4,643 Posts

Andy,

Your gun got me thinking about serial number stamping on parkers and what "we" know about them.

Generally speaking the major numbers stamped on any gun (forend, water table and barrel lug) will match. Meaning that they were stamped with the same size and style of numbers. Not necessarily that they were stamped with THE exact same stamps, but just that the different work stations in the factory would have been using the same type of stamps. The size and style of number stamps varied a lot over the many years of manufacture. But generally the numbers were of a serif style up until about the time of your gun when they switched to a san-serif or more block type of letter style. And the numbers got larger. Even though in the earlier serif stamps there was some times when the numbers got bigger as well, then smaller again...

But, the variation in your gun being that the water table (and I assume forend) have the earlier type serif style and the barrel lug has the later type san-serif style. I rummaged around through what I have here and was able to find two different examples not long after your gun was made. A 210,000 range Trojan and a 219,000 range GHE. BOTH of them look the way yours does. So, it is apparent that around this time, the barrel were being stamped with the newer style stamp and the frames/forends with the older style. Whereas a later example I have here in the 225,000 range has the newer san-serif style letters on the frame/forend.

So, your gun, though it goes against what would generally be held to be "the way", is from a time when that was not really so.
Visit Brian Dudley's homepage!