View Single Post
Learning history
Unread 02-13-2021, 12:35 AM   #1
Bernie Cross
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default Learning history

I had requested info from Griffin & Howe after being pointed there by Chuck Bishop. Griffin & Howe advised they had discontinued their service and then I received the following email from Mr Bob Beach today.

Subject: RE: PARKER DHE#173522

Dear Mr. Cross,
Although I have retired from providing research letters, I still occasionally access the G&H research email account and reply if I can help with information.

Your Parker VHE was first entered into the inventory at Von Lengerke & Detmold in November 1917. In these early years the information listed was much less than in later years and was even more sparse for your Parker than for other guns at that time. The only information recorded is as follows: S/N 173522, 12 gauge, 28 inch barrels, grade VHE. The cost of the gun to VL&D is in code which I believe translates to $49.55. The gun was sold on 11-21-17 to “A.C. Young” and charged to the customer’s account. Buyers addresses were not recorded at that time and the given names were most often just the initials. In 1918 the price of the Parker VHE was $69.00.

A.C. Young may have been a sporting goods store. VL&D imported and retailed firearms but they also wholesaled their guns to retailers in other parts of the country but usually only guns that they imported from Europe. On 6-10-18, Parker 173522 was returned to VL&D and re-entered in the inventory with no additional spec.’s. The name of the customer returning the gun was not recorded which makes me believe that it was a store.

On 12-9-18 the Parker was sold to “John Wanamaker”. There is no indication whether the gun was sold to Mr. Wanamaker for his own use, for a gift for a one of his employees or a family member, or for sale in one of his department stores. (Wanamaker was quite wealthy.) Considering the grade of the Parker I would assume it was not for his own use. Guns purchased for his stores were usually bought in small quantities but not as single guns. That leaves the gun as a purchase for a young family member or as a gift to a treasured employee upon retirement. If there is an engraved initial plate on the gun or, possibly, a gun case, that may provide a clue.

That is the best that I can do for you. I hope that this is of interest.

Thank you for the inquiry.
Regards,

Bob Beach (retired)
Griffin & Howe, Inc.

I can see why Mr Beach has the reputation he does. What a gentleman. And now I am as fascinated by Parker history as I am about the guns themselves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0332.jpg (516.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0337.jpg (516.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0339.jpg (528.0 KB, 1 views)
Bernie Cross is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bernie Cross For Your Post: