View Single Post
Unread 01-30-2021, 07:15 PM   #11
Harold Pickens
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 8,105 Times in 2,083 Posts

I lucked into reloading. I was given a Mec 600 in 12 ga--didnt even use it for 4 yrs. I was also given a Mec 600 in 16 ga, and picked up a well worn but functional Mec 600 in 20 ga for
50 bucks at a gun show. Not rocket science to learn to use them, and if you have a friend who can show you the ropes , you will be comfortable with it quickly. I bought a Mec short kit for 16 ga , to make 2 1/2" shells and found it fits on my other 2 also. I mostly load short shells for my damascus 16's. In my steel barreled 20's I load AA and Gun Clubs, they are a little short anyway, and I load low pressure 3/4 and 7/8 oz. Grouse and clays dont require loads going 1300+ fps. Once you start shooting 3/4 and 7/8 oz loads in a 16, you wont like those 1 oz anymore( 'cept maybe for pheasant).
Now, as in a few years ago, reloading components and ammo are getting hard to come by. Hopefully this will pass. I'm not a hoarder, but I'm set for a couple yrs, plus I've got so much loaded already, I dont think I'll need to reload this year.
If you are going to reload short 16's, I'll even spot you 100 short hulls.