View Single Post
Unread 01-09-2021, 11:13 AM   #30
mobirdhunter
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 9,902 Times in 3,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Corona View Post
I was very fortunate back in the 70's and 80's to have a number of farms on Maryland's eastern shore that held many coveys of wild birds. We would'nt start hunting till 9am or so, waiting for the covey to work into the brushy cover on the edge of the woods. The drainage ditches were overgrown and held lots of birds. You've never really hunted these birds until you would get into a covey that the dogs pointed 20 feet into the woods.

That being said, the farmers quit leaving those brushy edges and overgrown ditches in the early 90's and they introduced wild turkeys to the shore. I believe to this day that that explosion of the turkey population accounted for the demise of the quail and the lack of the brushy cover doomed any successful hatches they might have.

They are , were, my favorite bird to hunt followed closely by doves.
And, Daryl, how are you at shooting “woods quail?” Quail in the woods are by far my toughest shot of all game bird hunting.
Garry L Gordon is online now   Reply With Quote