View Single Post
Unread 01-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #29
J. A. EARLY
PGCA Member

Member Info

Thanked 2,710 Times in 877 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Romig View Post
I would never hunt deer with dogs and buckshot. I know it was/is popular to do so in some parts of the country - and I don'y intend to offend anyone... and I don't even like drives anymore and only ever participated in two drives... very scary stuff sometimes goes on in a drive

Dean,

In my county rifles were illegal for over sixty years due to an incident involving a local politician's/courthouse crew's wife nearly being shot. As one of the family members told me when we tried to get rifles legalized in the county back in the 90s "you'll never use a rifle in this county as long as I'm alive"(he's still alive). So buckshot was it. I kill most of my deer without dogs and with buckshot. Lose very few. So dogs and buckshot became the tradition (with a rifle in the pickup gun rack) for most hunters. Only last year did rifles become legal again, but we went through the slow progression from muzzle-loaders, to slugs, then to rifles without anyone being killed.

The opponents came out of the woodwork. One woman testified that rifles should not be legalized in the county because terrorists would come in and use them to overtake the nuclear power plant!
Jerry Harlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry Harlow For Your Post: