Ditto
Unread 08-12-2009, 06:23 AM   #26
tom tutwiler
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Ditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hamilton View Post
Here in Northern Virginia I have seen our grouse and quail disappear and at the same time a large increase in the hawk family, not to mention eagles. I believe that the hawks have wiped out our quail. A neighbor is attempting to introduce quail and has had some success. He says that one must provide massive ground cover in the form of tangles, brush and near-by food plants which are close to cover and include open ground. This is not easy with our thick growing fesque grasses which are too dense for the quail. David
Ten to fifteen years ago I hunted some private property not far from Winchester Va. More grouse then one can imagine. This roughly 100 acre plot of land often yielded 25 flushes in two or three hours of walking around. Mind you, most of that was done without dogs, there were that many birds. We continued to work at the habitat. Lots of wild grapes were fertilized. Autumn Olives were planted, apple trees, food plots. Larger trees were cut down to increase young sprouts etc. Bottom line, is the birds continued to decline.

At the present state, we flushed four of five birds the whole season last year. We only shot at two and missed (probably a good thing). Our dogs are limited to put and take at a local preserve. Not the best, as they deserve better.

That's why we have wandered out west and to other parts of the country. This year I'm taking an old dog (two if you count me) and a young pup to Maine in October to bird hunt. I know it won't be fantastic, but no doubt we will get into more birds then her for sure.

I say it's predators more then anything else. I just can't think of anything else, as it sure isn't habitat IMO.

PS. A picture of my old dog (younger then) taken in ND. This was a 100 bird in the air at the same time day.

tom tutwiler is offline   Reply With Quote