View Single Post
Unread 11-23-2018, 09:30 AM   #16
6pt-Sika
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 7,702 Times in 3,468 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Flanigan View Post
What I found is that 00 buck did not pattern well at all out of my full choke barrel. My particular gun, a 28” DHE bored modified and full, handled 00 buck better with the modified choke barrel. Obviously, the full choke barrel in that gun was bored too tight for the 00 buck. Big shot needs less constriction than smaller shot to perform best. I never could get the patterns I wanted with 00 so I tested other size shot and settled on #1 buck.

As far as slugs are concerned, different brands should be tested on paper to determine which is best. Each barrel is a world unto itself and generally will shoot a given brand of slug better than other brands.
What you say is generally the rule but not always . I keep Buck sizes 00000 , 0000 , 000 , 00 , 0 , 1 , 2 and 3 on my shelf at all times and I try them all in any gun I plan on using . Amazingly in the 10’s I’ve messed with were not as picky size wise as one would think . In my 12 Parker’s I pretty much use 0 all the time they shoot well enough and they nest very well inside a CB WAA12 wad . In the 16 I’ve used #1 mostly but have started using 0 as well . In the 20 I’ve obly tried 2 and 3 . To date I’ve used all the sizes mentioned in various 10 gauge SxS’s to take deer as well as the two 10 gauge slugs I have molds for .
CraigThompson is offline   Reply With Quote