View Single Post
Unread 08-07-2009, 04:36 PM   #28
Drew Hause
Forum Associate

Member Info

Thanked 3,838 Times in 1,264 Posts

Feb. 17, 1906
Fred J. Gilbert is reported seriously ill at his home at Spirit Lake. The
trouble (the Feb. 3 edition reported an attack of "tonsillitis") has developed into a serious attack of inflammatory rheumatism, from which his physicians are not expecting speedy recovery. He probably will not be able to participate at all in spring and early summer shooting contests.

March 3
The condition of Fred Gilbert, the world's champion, who is suffering with inflammatory rheumatism at his home in Spirit Lake, Iowa, is no better, and advices from his home are that he has lost from fifty to sixty pounds.

March 17
There is no improvement in the condition of Fred Gilbert to be reported. The latest from his home in Des Moines, la., is that he is so badly crippled with rheumatism that it is doubtful if he goes to the traps again in many months. The attack has been long continued.

April 14
Through the kindness of Mr. V. V Dorp, of Shannon & Sons, this city, we a,re able to give our readers a late bulletin regarding the convalescence of Mr. Fred Gilbert, of Spirit Lake Iowa, the one-time duck shooter, who later has devoted his days to demonstrating the art of wing shooting as applied to artificial targets. Under date of April 2, Mr. Gilbert writes:
"I am pleased to report that I am slowly improving and am now able to walk across the room without help. Will go to Hot Springs, Ark., as soon as able to travel, and feel assured that
this will straighten me out all O. K. Of course will not be able to shoot for some time. Was down to 120 pounds at one time, so must 'get some flesh and strength back. Hoping to see you during the season, I remain, etc.'"
That his recovery be speedy and thorough, seems to be the wish of everybody in this section and all others.

August 11
Fred Gilbert, in some practice at Kansas City, broke 93 out of 100 targets, an indication of returning health.

Last edited by Drew Hause; 08-07-2009 at 09:19 PM..
Drew Hause is offline   Reply With Quote
Visit Drew Hause's homepage!