View Single Post
Unread 05-20-2018, 09:29 PM   #7
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Laudermilch View Post
I got into a bit of an argument one day on the clays range with a hard core registered shooter about shotshell velocity. He was claiming the 1300 fps loads he was shooting cut his lead in half. After we got back to the clubhouse we did the math. I think we used 30 yds crossing at 45 mph as criteria. It turns out that the increased velocity did in fact reduce the lead required - by 4 inches. Most people cannot perceive 4 inches at that distance. The next time I saw the guy he was still shooting his screamers. My dad used to say "don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up". I think that little ditty applies to a bunch of folks.

Tom, don't discount pressure as inconsequential. It certainly affects pattern performance.
I don't discount the impact of high pressures on patterns. I will always chose the lower pressure loads. For example, my low pressure old pigeon load for 1 1/4 oz. shells for turkeys, ducks and geese at around 1200 fps. are wonderful patterning loads. Much better than the hot 1350 fps. or better 1 1/4 oz factory loads. I've patterened them all and the slower speed lower pressure loads provide the best patterns, by far. I could never see the logic of high velocity loads in any gauge.

And I could never understand trying to cram more that 1 1/4 oz. in a 12 bore or 1 oz. of shot in a 28 bore for that matter. All it does is create a lot of recoil and long shot strings.

Low pressure, moderate speeds and sensible loads for each gauge is what makes sense for me.
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: