Thread: Best 20 G hull
View Single Post
Unread 05-08-2018, 08:59 AM   #33
Paul Harm
Forum Associate

Member Info

Pressure changes with different primers varies with different powders or loads. Sometimes a Fed is higher in a certain load, and other times it isn't the highest in another load. There are many loads that will get you what you want with different primers. Looking at the sheet that comes with CBer 3/4oz wads with the same wad, velocity, powder is Titewad :
Ched = 7200psi
Fed = 7900psi
Rem = 6700psi
Win = 6700psi
with Clays powder
Ched = 7200psi
Fed = 7100psi
Rem = 6200psi
Win = 7500psi
Not a whole lot of difference and which one is high and low changes. We also know from Sherman Bell that even Damascus barrel guns aren't going to blow up even with 10,000psi factory loads. So why do I and most of us load low pressure loads? To protect the wood stocks ? Well someone answer this - is it pressure in the shell that the chamber contains or the recoil of heavy loads that crack a stock ? I don't know.
Recoil. True recoil is defined by normal physics : mass of bullet [ and wad ] +mass of powder X velocity = mass of gun X velocity of gun.
Perceived or felt recoil is entirely different. Because the shooter is part of the gun mass because he's holding it invokes many variables. Your posture, how hard the gun is held and your weight. Also how fast a powder burns could make a difference in felt recoil. One time I bought some Remington 1oz target loads at Bass Pro Shop. Thirty boxes of them at $2/box - big sale. One box of them kicking the crap out of me and all were sold for $3/box. They were 1oz, but 1350fps. Factory shells could also kick more because of wads or the powder used. I tried Clay Dot one time and sold the rest of a 8# jug. With the same 1oz load and velocity it felt like it kicked a lot more that what I was use to shooting. If you think less pressure equals less kick, it probably will. Shooting is as much of a mind game as it is physical.
Visit Paul Harm's homepage!