View Single Post
Unread 04-06-2018, 06:08 PM   #42
Tom Flanigan
PGCA Lifetime

Member Info

Thanked 1,253 Times in 425 Posts

I have fished across the country from coastal cutthroats in Oregon to Atlantic salmon on the Miramichi in New Brunswick in Canada. I take three trips a year to Colorado, Montana and Wyoming. My favorite trips are to the Rockies in Colorado. I spend five days alone hiking and fishing alpine lakes above12,000 feet for the beautiful greenback cutthroat trout, once listed as an extinct species.

I navigate with a topo and navigational compass. I plot my route using National Geographic software and print out my coordinates using waterproof paper.

There is nothing better than fishing solo for the greenbacks with the nearest human being about 10 miles away. I am addicted to the high peaks, greenbacks and the many mountain sheep I see each day. They rarely if ever see a human and don't mind your presence unless you try to get too close to them. During the rut, I have taken pictures of rams fighting. Its an awesome experience.

My home river in the West is the North Platte in Wyoming and in the east the Housatonic which is 20 minutes from my Pawling NY home. I have never, unfortunately, fished the Au Sable, a classic and storied trout river. Some day I hope to fish that historic river.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cutt3.jpg (62.8 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg bighorns fighting.jpg (520.6 KB, 1 views)
Tom Flanigan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tom Flanigan For Your Post: