View Single Post
Unread 10-30-2017, 07:41 PM   #18
MD*GSP
PGCA Member

Member Info

I have followed the method of "learning what NOT to do", sadly, from experience

Very natural, fire-breathing "on 11" hard charging, point slamming bird-dogs in big country is what does it for me.

That said..that puts me in the GSP / English Pointer world. Setters are stunning (and beautiful) bird-dogs but I just haven't much experience with them. (that's not to say Setters take a back-seat to any other breed- just limited personal experience)

Being a pointer guy..that means fetch is just an annoyance to a pointy dog who has the instinct to get on the bird (just to make sure it's done for) and then, find another. I've force fetched two dogs..one of them old school with a line to their toe..and my current dog (Kansas) who I force fetched following Evan Grahams method, "Smartworks", albeit somewhat modified to account for the dogs personality. It worked wonderfully and I couldn't recommend it enough. I would recommend not moving too fast and, forget (at least for the time being) what you want to see..let the dog show you what he or she is made of and then, build from there. Obedience (biddability) first and, always. Good luck.
Scot Cardillo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scot Cardillo For Your Post: