View Single Post
I appreciate Ed Muderlak- like to meet him some day
Unread 08-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #23
Old and Reliable
PGCA Member

Member Info

Default I appreciate Ed Muderlak- like to meet him some day

I have two copies of his "Knight of The Trigger" book- ooops, make that one- the other went to Dean-o for the silent auction this Sept at Pin-The-Tail Point MD (happens when you have several daughters that like to give their Dad books I guess)-- and a friend whom I "helped" find a M21 12 gauge recently is giving me Ed's fine book on the Parker Gun (I have Peter Johnson's and Larry Baer's fine books too)--

"Put a sock in it" expression has roots in Parkerdom- here it is-- Arthur C. Middleton, CEO and "Head Fred" at RCA-Victor ordered a 16 gauge Invincible grade and took delivery of same in Sept 1929- lived in NJ. And so before the RCA and radio with rheostat volume controls came about in the 1920's, the hand wound Victor Talking Machine Phonographs had no volume control- so to muffle or mute the sounds from the records of that era, they often placed a mitten, scarf or wool sock (stocking back then I'd wager) in the horn to accomplish this- hence the term "Put a sock in it"-- Mae and I visited the RCA Victor musuem in Dover, DE in July 2009 and the Lady who was our tour guide explained that to all of us- Great place to visit indeed.

I am a serious student of history, and that includes "trivial expressions" perhaps- I finally know what both "Hobson's Choice" means, and also the WW11 aviator's term "The Whole Nine Yards" plus the above mentioned Sock terminology- Now if i only knew what Bruce Springsteen said in his song "Blinded By The Light" about the Deuce-in??

Last edited by Francis Morin; 08-13-2010 at 08:42 AM..
Francis Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francis Morin For Your Post: