View Single Post
Load recipe to open shot pattern
Unread 01-23-2016, 06:42 PM   #1
Landy67
Forum Associate

Member Info

Default Load recipe to open shot pattern

Hi all,

Sorry if this topic has been covered to death. I tried to search, but didn't find anything relevant.

I just bought a Parker at a gun show. My hopes were to be able to use the gun for 5 stand, but when I pattered the gun with my regular loads (1oz, 14.5gr Xtra light, and Rem TGT12 wads) it seems to be X-full.X-full. At 40 yards 100% of the shot was well inside a 30" circle. I'm doing real good at trap, but it's way too tight for any other game I play. I would never consider modifying a gun this age, but I really want something I can use for 5 stand.

My guess is this gun would shoot completely different if I was using a load that didn't have a modern wad. Has anyone done any work checking the differences between modern ammo, and reloads using fiber wads, overshot wads, spreader loads, roll crimp, etc?

The Parker is a 1910 Vulcan barreled VH with 30" barrels. I would love to have a load I could use that would open up the pattern enough that I could use for 5 stand or sporting clays. I just ordered the load data book from Ballistic products, along with some of the X spreader inserts, and overshot wads.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, I'm hoping that someone has already done the work, and I can just follow in their footsteps.

Thanks in advance

Dan
Dan Hatton is offline   Reply With Quote